The Paddy Power guide to responsible gambling – everything you need to know – Paddy Power News
It’s easy for us to say we don’t want gambling to have a damaging effect on people’s lives. But what are we actually going to do about it? Without any solid commitments to back up what we say, our words are about as useful as a pitching wedge at Roland Garros.
So our commitment is to reduce the likelihood of gambling having a negative impact, through:
- Taking action when we see that a customer may need support
- Educating everyone about responsible play
- Investing in ways that tackle the problems
- Not shying away from talking about the risks with gambling
Where do we draw the line?
When we talk about ‘responsible gambling’, what are we on about? You might say a little flutter on an outsider is irresponsible, but that’s not always the case.
Essentially, responsible gambling means you are having fun, and feel in control of how you play. If your gambling is creating financial stress, anxiety, depression, or affecting your life in a negative way overall, then it may develop into a problem.
TIPS FOR BETTING SENSIBLY
A few pointers for getting it right. Jobs are for making money, but gambling is for entertainment. Treat it as an entertainment expense, like a ticket to that 18th Fast and Furious film down the cinema, rather than a way to make money.
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose.
- Know your limits, and be clear about them before you start betting.
- Take a break. Gambling continuously without taking a break will impact your judgement.
- Don’t gamble when you’re upset or depressed.